Why Dry Food Is Such A Bad Idea
- Journal of the American Veterinary Association, 1 December 2002 (Volume 221, Number 11), Timely Topics
in Nutrition, "The Carnivore Connection to Nutrition in Cats", Debra L. Zoran
- The TC Feline website - too many wonderful essays and articles to summarize here; this is an absolutely indispensable treasure trove of credible information by a pioneer in raw cat food feeding world
- Terri Grow's wonderful synopsis on "10 Cat Food Myths"
- Michelle Bernard's online essay on "The Truth About Dry Cat Food"
- Raising Cats Naturally, by Michelle Bernard
- "Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition", by Lisa Pierson, DVM
- Your Cat: Simple Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life, by Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins
- Commentary from a 2003 American Veterinary Medical Association Convention on the "Catkins Diet"
- Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins' online material on links between feline diet, diabetes, and obesity.
- Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food, by Ann N. Martin and Michael W. Fox (New Sage Press)
- Letter to Tim Loughton, MP, from Chrissie Nicholls, Head of Information and Media Services, British Veterinary Association, 15 December 2004
Demystifying Pet Food Labeling
Getting Educated on the Essentials of Raw Feeding Yourself So You're Not Just Using This Website for Information Which Will Probably Really Freak Out Your Vet
- The Feline Nutrition Education Society website
- A Vet's View on Raw Feeding, by Dr. Andrea Tasi
- The "Raw Fed Cats" e-book; all about the "whole prey model" and how to feed a cat raw without grinding anything
- Dr. Debra Zoran's seminal JAVMA article on The Carnivore Connection to Nutrition in Cats (share this with your vet!)
- Nutritional Analysis Tool, University of Illinois (this thing is awesome)
- National Academy of Sciences, Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats
- Committee on Animal Nutrition (National Research Council), Nutrient Requirements of Cats (free PDF executive summary here)
- USDA National Nutrient Database
- A brief, but very sensible essay on the importance of following a tested recipe and not casually improvising when preparing a homemade diet
Fine Tuning Your Knowledge of Cat Nutrition
- Manage and prevent feline diabetes, and learn about the profound role of diet in feline diabetes from
Dr. Elizabeth Hodgkins
- French translation by Susan Holt of of two very important excerpts from of Dr. Hodgkins' book: "The cat is not a small dog", pages 4,5,6,7 and "A lesson in pet food technology", pages 130, 131.
- The history of the Raw Meat Cat Food Company, led by an early adopter and trailblazer in the field of healthy raw feeding for cats, Natascha Wille
- Pottenger's Cats: A Study in Nutrition, available from the Price-Pottenger Foundation
- A list of some of the better commercial canned foods available, by Dr. Lisa Pierson